After completing The Omnivore’s Dilemma is was interesting
to follow Pollan’s transition in perspective regarding the ethics of eating
animals. Originally he endorsed a more vegetarian focused diet after shadowing
unhealthy big industry production. Then Pollan questions whether or not it’s
sustainability that makes the perfect meal. It’s essential to question where
our food comes from, what is it that we’re really eating?
I
was not sure how I felt about his claim that United States is victim to a lack
of a dominant food culture, which effectively leads to increased cases of
obesity and weight disorders. I’m sure there are hundreds of chefs across the
country that would argue American cuisine is a thriving industry, full of
healthy and sustainable options. I would agree that the fast food and many
other quick eating options flood the contemporary diet however.
I
have to admit I got McDonald’s just the other day and did not feel the
slightest remorse about it. The unfortunate truth is that eating a fully sustainable
hand cooked meal day in and day out is just unrealistic. We can attempt to eat as
healthy as we can within our means but location, income, and tradition continue
the necessity for quick food options. Pollan’s book will force me to question
more often and seek the healthier option whenever possible, but everything in
moderation I was always taught.
As a first-generation American I definitely understand why Pollan says that there isn't a 'culture of eating' in the US. My mom used to cook a few times a week and make a lot of food so we would have it for the next few days. I feel like a lot of other places in Europe and basically anywhere that isn't America tend to cook more often, and it does give you a better appreciation for the food because you had to work for it.
ReplyDeleteWhile McDonalds can sometimes be the move, McDonalds has become so big that they can affect the way that all the meat in the area where they grow cattle is grown. That tends to have negative affects on the quality of other low-quality meats that we eat but I think people are really starting to realize that it makes sense to pay a little more for 'cleaner' food (at least those who can afford to pay the premium).
I think we are starting to move to more local foods but it'll be interesting to see if government will start subsidizing food that is better for the soil and for people
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/04/15/americans-spend-more-on-dining-out-than-groceries-for-first-time-ever/