I
recently watched the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary “I Hate Christian Laettner”,
which follows one of the greatest and also most hated collegiate basketball
athletes of all time. Christian Laettner lead Duke to the Final Four in four
straight years from 1988-1992 and won the National Championship twice. Although
it would seem he should be remembered as a sports hero his name lives on in
jeers and cheap t-shirts. What is it about Laettner that has caused so many to
hate him for so long?
Before
changing the channel I questioned of my own dislike for Duke basketball, which
I have retained since before I can remember, and failed to find a worthy
reason. The only answer I had for rooting against them every March is because
they’re good each and every year contending for the title. People voice their
hatred for Duke, Laettner, and similar sports dynasties such as the New England
Patriots or New York Yankees because of a cultural love for the underdog.
Laettner
unfortunately got a bad wrap for being the face of a basketball program that
was just really good. Duke is hated across the nation because they beat almost
every team they play every season and travel the country breaking the hearts of
home fans. It was those angry fans and people rooting against Duke that lead to
Laettner’s greatness, he fed off their energy and seemed to play his best on
the biggest stages. Maybe sports need enemies, villains, Dukes, and Christian
Laettners to feed the competition, but how far should it go? Should we really
jeer the players and teams that are ultimately the best at what they do and
chose to idolize others?
Love
him or hate him, Christian Laettner still holds the NCAA Basketball record in
Most Points Scored, Most Free Throws Made, Most Free Throw Attempts, Most Games
Won, and Most Games Played.
http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=ihatechristianlaettner
http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=ihatechristianlaettner

I don't know much about basketball, but it's really interesting how passionate some people get about loving or hating him!
ReplyDelete