I’ll
admit that I was hesitant to start reading The Genius of Money by John Bloom
when it was first introduced in class. However, I quickly gained interest in
the book, as I was lead into an investigation of money from a unique artistic
perspective. The opening section,
“The Poetics of Money” follows selected artworks from Ancient Greece to
Contemporary New York in order to better understand the iconic imagery of money
in transforming generations.
Bloom’s
desire to shine a light on how ideologies and attitudes are formed about money
both consciously and subconsciously is an engaging invitation into the
psychological characteristics of business. In social psychology we are taught
about social schemas, which are used in everyday life in order to help us
understand and explore the world. From a young age social schemas are developed
through experience to inform individuals what to expect in a variety of
situations and are then stored in long-term memory for later recall. John
Bloom’s analysis of renowned artwork highlights an avenue through which social
schemas mold perspectives of money in early development.
Before
we are even old enough to have money we are taught about the necessity and
desire to obtain money. John Bloom aims to support freethinking and hopes to
inspire “our own consciousness”, but I have to question to what extent this is
possible. The first section of his
book illustrates that for hundreds of years individuals have questioned the
role and power of money in society, but have failed to spark any real change.
Money only appears to gain ground in its constricting grasp and control over
our lives with each passing generation.
Since I am reading the same book as you, and have a lot of the same feelings and questions as you, I can relate to this post! Hopefully as we continue reading through sections two and three Bloom can further explain some of our unconscious motivations when it comes to money and delve further into why we act the way we do in regard to money!
ReplyDelete