Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Black Willow

            Inspired by professor Hansen’s tree tour a week ago, I felt the need to share my own favorite tree with you all. I’m from a rural town right outside of Philadelphia, home to some of the most beautiful trees I have ever seen. Lakes, rivers, and streams surround my house scattered with lush forest on the edges of the Appalachian Mountains. One of the most dominant trees in the landscape and oldest native trees to the region is the Black Willow Tree, which grow directly along the riverbanks and near water.


            The Black Willow, also known as the Weeping Willow, is the largest of North American willow trees growing to over 100 ft. in height. Originally from China, it was later cultivated and traded on the Silk Road to Southeast Asia and Europe. Later making its way to North America many hybrid willow trees and new species were introduced. 


            One of the Willow Trees most unique qualities is its soil binding nature. Most frequently found along rivers and banks the fibrous root system helps to prevent the soil and banks from washing away. The flowers are formed in long drooping catkins produced in the early spring and the leaves are small narrow spirally arranged changing from bright green to yellow and red in late autumn.



            They have a relatively short lifespan, averaging about 60 - 100 years. The large reaching branches and soft water soaked bark make the trees especially susceptible to lightning and storm winds that other trees avoid. I have yet to see a willow on campus or even in Southern California so far, but I’ll keep my eyes open and you should too!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! It's a really beautiful tree :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea how human beings empathize themselves on plants. They really could get us thinking about life and meanings.

    ReplyDelete